FTC Affiliate Disclosure
—Many of the products and services we advertise and recommend on this site provide us with an affiliate commission for referrals (with no added cost to you) and we use affiliate links in banner ads and text links throughout this site, including on this page. What is an affiliate link?
For more information see our Disclosure
. We are also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Is The Australian Shepherd The Right Dog For Me?
I have been looking into getting an Australian Shepherd but have some concerns about whether or not this would be a good dog for me. My biggest concerns are me being gone for work during the day (8hrs), living in an apartment and if the amount of exercise I can give the dog will be enough. I made a list of what I can provide for the dog and would love input from current owners!
- medium sized apartment
- no yard but dog park less than 1 block away
- I am gone 8 hrs a day during weekdays for work but will be able to spend most of my time with the dog on weekends and weeknights
- go for 3-5 mile runs with me before I leave for work
- Bikejoring/skijoring (dog helps pull you when you are biking or cross country skiing) depending on the season after work and on weekends
- hiking and camping on various weekends
- advanced obedience
- the skijor and bikejor training
- many tricks
Getting An Australian Shepherd? Get The Guide... Australian Shepherd Lover's Guide To Australian Shepherd Training & Care