If you make a purchase via a link on this site, I may receive a small commission, and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See the Disclosure page
for more information. Thank you!
New Puppy Questions
I am getting a 8 week old purebred Australian Shepherd in 8-9 weeks (S/he isn't born yet) but I had some questions as this is my first ever puppy.
1. How long should my puppy be in a room when s/he first comes homes? I know I should keep my puppy in a room when she or he first comes home but how long can s/he stay in there until they roam free while I am home?
2. What jobs can you give a 9 week old puppy, or 10 if 9 is too early? I know Aussies need jobs but what can I give to my puppy until s/he is older? What jobs can I give when s/he is older? I plan to teach him/her to get the mail, but what else?
3. When s/he first comes home, how often and how long should I play with him/her per day?
4. When do puppies need their last set of shots? I have another dog and I read that I should keep them apart until the puppy gets his last set of shots. Is that true?
5. How often should I bathe my puppy? I know not to bathe a lot because their skin but I want my puppy to get use to and like baths.
I know that’s a lot of questions, but like I said, I have always had adults, never have raised a puppy. Thanks in advance! The pictures are the mom, black tri, and dad, red merle.
Questions About Your Aussie Puppy? Australian Shepherd Lover's Guide To Australian Shepherd Training & Care