FTC Affiliate Disclosure
—Many of the products and services we advertise and recommend on this site provide us with an affiliate commission for referrals (with no added cost to you) and we use affiliate links in banner ads and text links throughout this site, including on this page. What is an affiliate link?
For more information see our Disclosure
. We are also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
New Puppy Questions
I am getting a 8 week old purebred Australian Shepherd in 8-9 weeks (S/he isn't born yet) but I had some questions as this is my first ever puppy.
1. How long should my puppy be in a room when s/he first comes homes? I know I should keep my puppy in a room when she or he first comes home but how long can s/he stay in there until they roam free while I am home?
2. What jobs can you give a 9 week old puppy, or 10 if 9 is too early? I know Aussies need jobs but what can I give to my puppy until s/he is older? What jobs can I give when s/he is older? I plan to teach him/her to get the mail, but what else?
3. When s/he first comes home, how often and how long should I play with him/her per day?
4. When do puppies need their last set of shots? I have another dog and I read that I should keep them apart until the puppy gets his last set of shots. Is that true?
5. How often should I bathe my puppy? I know not to bathe a lot because their skin but I want my puppy to get use to and like baths.
I know that’s a lot of questions, but like I said, I have always had adults, never have raised a puppy. Thanks in advance! The pictures are the mom, black tri, and dad, red merle.
Questions About Your Aussie Puppy? Australian Shepherd Lover's Guide To Australian Shepherd Training & Care