FYI: If you make a purchase via a link on this site, I may receive a commission from various affiliate programs, and as an Amazon Associate and Chewy affiliate I also earn commissions from qualifying purchases—at NO extra cost to you. See the Disclosure page for more information. Thank you!
In November I lost my beautiful almost 11 month old Annie. She was a puppy I raised out of my son's Aussie June. I begged my 15 year old son to keep Annie. Funny, it is usually the other way around. She was attached to my side from day one. I absolutely adored her but what was so wonderful is that she felt the same way about me. She was totally loyal to me and was so eager to please me that training her was a breeze.
We wormed our horses Nov 15th with Ivermectin. Knowing it is deadly to our Aussies they were kept up but what we didn't know is that animals wormed with Ivermectin pass toxic levels of it through their feces. If you have horses and dogs you understand that dogs and especially puppies love horse apples. She ingested some horses feces and around 7pm was having severe seizures and slipped into a coma.
The next morning I had to make the heart breaking call to have her put to sleep. I can't believe there are no warning about this on the packaging of these products. I am doing what I can to get the word out. It is the only thing I can do.
I miss her so badly and feel terrible that this happened to my beautiful baby. I am heart broken beyond words :(
Please, if you have livestock and use Ivermectin, keep your dogs away while you worm. (Just a small amount of spilled product can be enough to poison your dog.) also, from what I have researched the feces of animals wormed with Ivermectin are most toxic up to 5 days from the moment you worm and continue to be toxic for up to a month in warm weather. I hope I can keep this from happening to another beloved Aussie.
I'm so unbelievably sad!
More Information About... Ivermectin, Trifexis and MDR1 Gene Mutation in Australian Shepherds